The Fitness industry’s explosion of home gyms and DVD workout programs has created a great need for the best adjustable dumbbells as the most required equipment needed to complement the programs. Having paid big money for these programs and then to find out other accessories are needed to make the impact really worth the initial investment is somewhat disappointing. However, health is hard to put a price on so put your money where your health is.
I have done the hard work for you in reviewing what dumbbell product is best, and purchasing an adjustable dumbbell set is by far the most cost and space effective. On average an adjustable set of dumbbells replaces about 10 pairs of common non-adjustable dumbbells. The amount of weight and space is compounded exponentially over an adjustable set!
What are the best features of a high quality adjustable dumbbell?
Below is a summary of what features you should have while choosing your adjustable dumbbell.
- To get some of the best features on the market for adjustable dumbbells as a consumer you will have to pay for the R&D put into it. The top rated dumbbells get their ranking from consumers just like you, people who have paid a bigger price and expected a superior product. Marketers for each of the products I reviewed get paid to make you think a certain way for their particular product. I get paid to tell you factual truth from REAL people who used these products!
- Look for quality steel construction, ease of adjusting weight, securing the weight of the dumbbell after adjustment, the feel of the grip and actual weight being transferred during an exercise. No one wants a clanky lose feeling dumbbell, if it feels cheap it probably is cheap!
- Safety and durability should be first concern even over cost, as the old adage goes “you get what you pay for” stands true. The other component to put into this mix is not wanting a house full of dumbbells to meet the various needs of each exercise needing a different weight. Real estate costs money and saving space saves you money!
The 3 TOP Adjustable Dumbbells Sets on the Market
The three dumbbells that made the cut for review are: Bowflex SelectTech 552, Ironmaster 75 lb. Quick-Lock and Powerblock Elite 90. Amazon has each one ready for you. Obviously you can research many more of these types of adjustable dumbbells and find different quality and price differences. If you are in it for the long haul, spend good money for a good product.
- The Bowflex SelectTech 552 are made by one of the most well known name in fitness. These can easily adjust between 5 and 52.5 pounds just dial it in. These replace about 15 sets of weights. The rubber coated handles improve grip making it safer and more comfortable. The one complaint is it being pricey and not being completely stable having a lose feeling. With over 400 customer reviews, these rate a high 4 star rating.
- Ironmaster 75 lb Quick-Lock adjustable dumbbells are the most versatile of the group due to adjusting from 5 to 75 pounds. Heavy duty construction will yield years of hard workouts. These are very sturdy and well balanced but the only down side of the Ironmasters is the actual weight switching per dumbbell takes 30+ seconds each. With minimal reviews, they still come in at a high 4 star rating.
- The PowerBlock Elite 90 adjustable dumbbell set has a unique shape (rectangular) and weight selection from 5 to 45 pounds in 5 pound increments. A pin mechanism is used in each dumbbell to select the weight very stable once in place. This pair replaces 9 sets of weights. PowerBlock’s have a high 4 star rating as well.
My Ranking of the Best Adjustable Dumbbells
- The most useable and affordable dumbbells in my review, I conclude that the ironmaster-75 lb-quick-lock is the most durable, sturdy, balanced and versatile adjustable dumbbell set for the money. Remember you get what you pay for. If you want a sub par set of adjustable dumbbells these are not it.
- Bowflex SelectTeach 552 has come in a close second due to the true dumbbell look and feel and being known to be built by one of the biggest names in fitness. Quality is on the high end of being a very good product. The one knock is the feel of the dumbbell not being a solid piece some rattling as well during exercise.
- PowerBlock Elite 90 is still one of the original pioneers of adjustable dumbbells. It is a solid feeling set and a reputable name behind it. It is the lightest set of the three reviewed only going up to 45 pounds.
Hopefully this was helpful in educating you what would be the best set to buy.
You can click any of the links above to find out more information about reading more reviews and purchasing them.